• GO BULLDOGS!!!!

• Welcome to THE BEST TIMES newspaper!

Bluegrass Roots

WV Music Hall of Fame

Jessica Bennett, Staff Writer

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” – Plato.

On Tuesday, October 10th, BeckleyStratton held a Music and Arts Assembly for the 8th graders. The guest speakers included Joey Ansel, Rachel Burge, Michael Lipton, Ron Sowell, and Bud Carrol. Each of them talked about their life leading up to their music career and played some of their favorite tunes at the end of the breakout sessions. 

Rachel Burge talked about how she became a mandolin player and became the only woman to win a mandolin contest in West Virginia. Ron Sowell told us that music lets you travel and where he’s been throughout the world. “I would like to play music to bring joy to people of all ages. Music is the universal language, it brings people together” said Hannah Gwinn. 

Bud Carrol shared about his beginnings in music to where he is now. Joey Ansel informed the kids about the other aspects of music, like working backstage as a stage hand. “I would like to have a career in the arts as a professional artist,” said A.J. Sparks.

Finally, Michal Lipton talked briefly about who he is, where he grew up, and what he does in the music industry.  Taylin Olivarri said “now that I have learned their stories, they have inspired me to play more music.”

In one breakout group “Country Roads” by John Denver was played as students belted out the beloved words. Teddy Weis said he enjoyed the assembly, due in part to the fact that the musicians played his favorite genre of music; bluegrass. 

The 8th grade students of Beckley-Stratton witnessed something great that day in the gym in their small breakout groups; they felt the spirit of West Virginian music.