• GO BULLDOGS!!!!

• Welcome to THE BEST TIMES newspaper!

Natural Disasters

Past, Present, Future

Time Magazine
Hurricane Irma was quite unpredictable when it came to radar tracking.

Lexi Clay, Staff Writer

Since the beginning of time, natural disasters have affected people worldwide. Whether it be through flooding, landslides, blizzards, hurricanes, or earthquakes, natural disasters have left their unforgettable mark.

Natural disasters are caused by movements of the earth, weather, and flooding. According to an article by Insurance Business Magazine, disasters ranging from the least common (floods) to the most common (storms) have been recorded to have happened more often in the United States than any other country.

The majority of students at BEST reported that they were affected by the Derecho that hit West Virginia in 2012. This storm left them, as well as their families, without power and/or water for as long as two weeks. Several students also indicated that they had experienced natural disasters such as floods, tornados, and hurricanes.

The most recent disaster affecting the U.S. and abroad was Hurricane Irma. This Category 5 hurricane began on August 30, 2017, first hitting the Verde Islands.  It continued traveling northwest through Puerto Rico, the British Virgin Islands, and the Dominican Republic.  After making landfall on the southernmost point of Florida, it decreased to a Category 4 where it ended its fury on September 16th in Tennessee. It was the strongest recorded hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean since Wilma in 2005.

Scientists and researchers are predicting that the severity of natural disasters will increase in the upcoming years. Between now and the year 2050, scientists predict stronger wildfires, more volcanic eruptions, and larger earthquakes as well as the largest tsunami recorded in history (listverse).

A major solar storm causing worldwide blackouts is predicted to occur by 2025. Even though natural disasters are upsetting, there are many things we can do to help! During your lunch at BEST, consider donating to the coin drive and help the victims affected by Hurricane Irma.