Black History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black History Month

Ms. Bickford leads the BSMS band in playing

Ms. Bickford leads the BSMS band in playing "Down to Jericho," and "Dim Bones." (Images by Tazha Harper)

Serenidy Fox and Sierra Day

Choir members Adrianna Wallace, Gyanna King, and Eryianna Jones (l-r), perform to accompany “Down by the Riverside.”

Special guests and students speak in front of BSMS about Black History Month, empowerment, and equality.

Black History Month is a month of celebration of all the achievements in the African-American community. People all over the world are looked down upon because of the color of their skin, but not at our school. Beckley Stratton Middle School chooses to appreciate differences rather than to bring others down.

On February 22, 2019 all the students in Beckley Stratton Middle School gathered in the gym for an assembly. The purpose of the assembly was to show the importance of how African Americans promote unity, nationally and locally, and it did exactly that. The assembly consisted of 2 guest speakers and 4 student speakers. The band and choir also put on a performance to help show support to the African American community. The band played two African folk songs while the choir sang the African American National Anthem and two spiritual songs. Band and choir came together to put on a wonderful performance. Here at Beckley Stratton, all students are treated the same; no single person is treated poorly because of differences.

African Americans fought for their rights by starting organizations, participating in multiple protests, and many other things. The rise of mass production, new limits on immigration, and World War I and II drove millions of African Americans north to find work in America’s expanding industrial economy. By the 1930s, the growing importance of African Americans in the industry began to tip the balance away from segregation and exclusion toward unity and inclusion. This happened everywhere, causing unity to spread nationally. Even though there were people that didn’t agree on the increasing acceptance of African Americans , the community still stood up for unity and equal rights.

That Beckley Stratton Middle School is an example of unity is undeniable. As a student at BSMS, I feel that my school administration does everything in their power to enforce acceptance with staff and students. We are a very diverse school, which gives students the opportunity to meet new people and learn about different cultures. Beckley Stratton Middle School’s slogan  “Strive to be the best” certainly lives up to its name.