True Student Athletes

It takes hard work and dedication to manage academics and sports...

These 8th grade football players had to juggle both academic goals and field goals. (L-R, Matthew Moore, Bradley Snyder, Nate Grayton, Kaden Ashby, Ducatti Hurley, Xander Stegel.) Victoria Toby image.

Sophia Hall, Staff writer

This is the last year cheering for BEST for (l-r, back row, Alex Sewell, Olivea Clay, Madison Matheny (front, l-r), Kaylee McClaugherty, Adrianna Wallace and Ashlin Marcum. Victoria Toby image.

The soccer team looks full of anxiety. Probably because they’re no longer proving their guts and glory out on the field. BEST won the Raleigh County Championship for 2018. (L-R) Caidence Jarvis, Caleb Otte, Carter Underwood, Andrew Runion, Dason Griffy, Seth Hamby-Wingrow, and Makayla Pablic.

Athletics have always been a big part of Beckley-Stratton’s history, after academics, of course. Student athletes have to be willing to put in the work not only in school, but also in games and at practice. This isn’t always easy.

“I balance being a good athlete and student by being good in class and always listening to my teachers,” says Ducatti Cook, 8th grade football player. Ducatti loves being able to help his team win games, so he puts in the work at school to make sure he can accomplish that. “Overall I have loved my time as a Beckley-Stratton football player. You just have to always respect your teachers,” he continues.

Caleb Otte has been on the Beckley-Stratton soccer team for three years now and this year he has had the privilege of being called a captain. “It has been a great three years and it was generally a good time,” he says. Being a student athlete takes a lot of hard work and can sometimes be a lot of pressure. “I have the stress of having to perform in school and on the soccer field, most of the time the pressure doesn’t get to me. I just bottle it up for one moment of being mad.” The soccer team just got the county champs title. They won the championship game against Park Middle, 2-1, which shows all of the teams hard work has paid off.

Soccer isn’t the only team putting in the work, the Beckley-Stratton cheer team just placed second at their first competition. 8th grader, Adrianna Wallace, says that her experience as a Beckley-Stratton cheerleader has been a lot of fun. Ashlin Marcum, also an 8th grader, has been on the team since her 6th grade year. She said the pressure of being on the team and school starts to get to her when competitions start.

Overall the Beckley-Stratton sports teams have had a great season. Ducatti, Caleb, and Ashlin all said they have loved their time as a student athlete and think the future athletes will, too. “Just put in some effort and the work and just have a good time,” says Caleb. “Be prepared, it is a lot of fun, but is also really hard,” Ashlin says. “Have fun and be sure to always respect your coaches, teachers, and teammates and try to always set a good example,” says Ducatti.