Is Theatre for You?

It's nerve-wracking and chaotic, but fun.

Beckley Children's Theatre is one local platform for expression through the arts.

We’ve all been to a theatre (or theater) to see a play once or twice. It’s fun to watch a play, but what’s it like to be behind the scenes? Chaotic? Fun? Nerve-wracking? It’s actually all of them. Everyone standing off-stage waiting can be very chaotic. Then, going on stage getting to play a crazy, wacky, wonderful character, of course that’s going to be fun. A downfall to theater is that you have to audition. This leads to overthinking: “What if I don’t get the part? What if I get the part and mess up on stage?” See? Nerve-wracking. People often suggest, “Pretend the audience is in their underwear.” It doesn’t work. There are school theaters and also children’s after school theaters as local options for students to get used to being on stage and to take the edge off of performing in front of a crowd.

“We don’t turn kids away so any kid that wants to be a part of it, it’s not an audition to say ‘well no you don’t get a part, you can’t be a part of this.’ If we have 40 kids- we will find them 40 roles. So when the kids show up we find what talents God has given them to give them and make the production great,” says Gayle Oaks, Director of Beckley Children’s Theater (BCT). BCT is a theater for all kids ages 8 through 18. BCT is going on 5 years since getting started and they’re doing the 10th production of Nightmare Before Christmas this year.

“It (school theater) helps build your self confidence, if you’re not a very self confident person. It also gives you great courage to do whatever you want.” Says Ms.Lewis, director of the BEST school theater and gifted teacher for Beckley-Stratton. I believe this  to be true, if you can get in front of your friends and put on a show, you can do anything. BEST theater will be going on two years, doing their second production this year.

As I said earlier not all theaters are the same, so what are the differences between these two theaters? Ms.Lewis says, “Other than the fact its during school time, school theater provides a safe environment for students who can’t attend public theater.” Sam Ingram, co-director of BCT said “We provide a safe christian theater which most public schools don’t provide.” One big difference between these two theaters is that BCT is a christian theater which schools can’t provide because not all students have the same religions. You also have to pay $25 to be in BCT as opposed to school theater, where there is no admission fee.

Ms.Lewis believes more students should get involved in theater. “If you read the studies theater can help with self confidence and help build future job skills,” she said. If you want to be an actor or actress, theater would most certainly help. It would actually help with anything you want to do in an entertainment industry, but it could also help if you want to run a business because theater teaches team work and creative thinking. Jay Phillips, music director for BCT, agrees. “I think its important for kids to be involved in anything social but theater helps make a creative outlet,” he said.

What does it take to be in theater? BCT Director Gayle Oaks says, “It’s ok to realize that you’re different, every kid is different and it’s okay to be unique.” Ms.Lewis said, “ Good morals and the willingness to build credibility,” are essential to success in theater. So would you rather be behind the scenes or in front of the crowd? Whatever your personality type, you’re bound to benefit from getting involved in theater.