Our Recipes are the BEST!

These fall family dishes are delicious...

Students' most favorite dishes are the ones their families have prepared over generations.

Tazha Harper, Staff writer

Have you ever walked into your house and smelled the sweet aroma of your mom’s, dad’s, grandma’s, or grandpa’s delicious food? It just made you forget all your worries. That’s how everyone in Mrs. Shrewsberry’s writing class felt recently when they wrote their informative essays on their favorite recipe made by a relative. Sophia Hall’s great-grandmother’s cornbread has been passed down in her family for years and is her favorite. It would pair well with Jacob Sloan’s mother’s fried chicken recipe which he named “Trista’s Chicken” in her honor. Also, Kyleigh Edward’s mother learned to make her goulash when she was just 10 years old. Her mom was at work while her brother was in the hospital with cancer and she needed to cook for herself. We all have our favorite recipes with memorable stories behind them. It’s what you do with those memories that counts.

Sophie Hall: Great-Grandma’s Cornbread

The homemade recipe I’ve chosen is my great grandmother’s cornbread. My great grandmother discovered this recipe many years ago. She didn’t have much when she was younger. She lost both of her parents before she was six years old. She didn’t have a mother to prepare her meals for her, so she was forced to take care of herself, which is how she found this recipe. She still makes it to this day and it is very good. She has taught her daughter, my grandmother, my mother, and my aunt how to make it. I asked her if she remembers how she found it but she doesn’t quite remember but, she always talks about how proud she is for making it. She says where she didn’t grow up with parents, she felt like she was always messing up, but her cornbread is one thing she is very proud of.

Here is how to make it:

• Preheat oven to 500 degrees (best used when using a greased cast iron skillet)
  • 1 cup of cornmeal
  • ½ cup of flour
  • Tablespoon of baking powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • Add buttermilk until batter is pancake consistency
  • Pour in greased pan or skillet, then bake for 15 minutes (or until golden brown on top)

Kyleigh Edwards: Mom’s Goulash

My mom’s favorite dish is goulash, but before I tell you how to make it, let me tell you how she started cooking at the age of 10 years old by herself. The reason why was her mom was at work or taking care of her brother who had cancer. My mom’s influence was her grandma and her aunts because they always cooked full meals.

Ingredients

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium yellow onion chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb. ground beef

salt and black pepper, to taste

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 1/4 beef broth

1 can tomato sauce

1 can diced tomatoes

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1 tsp paprika

1 1/2 boxes Elbow Macaroni, uncooked

1 bag shredded Cheddar cheese

Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

To Make:

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.

Add ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain fat and return to pan.

Add tomato paste and stir to coat, then pour in broth, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Season with Italian seasoning and paprika, and stir in macaroni. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

Stir in cheese and remove from heat. Garnish with parsley and it’s done. Enjoy!

Jacob Sloane: Trista’s Chicken

About a year ago my mom passed, she was so funny, and nice, and of course I’m biased and believe that she was the best mom I could’ve ever had. One thing my mom taught me and loved doing was cooking; her favorite meal to cook was fried chicken. Here’s the recipe:

• Mix a tablespoon of garlic powder with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 3 cups all-purpose flour.
  • Roll the chicken in the baking powder mixture.
  • Roll the chicken again in prepared fish batter (made by package directions).
  • Put olive oil in the pan and heat. Add chicken to fry.
  • Fry the chicken on the stove at medium heat and cook until golden brown or about 15 – 20 minutes (to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F). Serve and enjoy!

In Memory of my mom, Trista Dawn Lester. 

Madeline Semenske: Mom’s Tator-Tot Casserole 

My mother’s name is Angela Semenske. She has two kids, which are my sister Emma and me. She loves to craft and make her famous homemade dishes. My favorite is Tator-Tot casserole, and I’m going to teach you how to make it yourself.

• 1 lb. hamburger, fried and drained
  • 1 bag frozen tator-tots
  • One container of sour cream
  • One can of cream of chicken soup
  • 32 oz. bag of cheddar cheese
  • 1 oz. of fried onions and peppers
  • A big mixing bowl
  • A big baking pan
  1. Pre heat your oven at 350 degrees and bake your frozen tator tots first.
  2.  Get your mixing bowl and put the whole container of sour-cream, cream of chicken soup, 32 oz. of cheese, and fried-up peppers and onions. Mix this all together.
  3. Now, get your baking pan and tator-tots. Spread a layer of tator tots on the bottom of your pan.
  4. Put your mixture over the tator-tots in the pan
  5. You can also put more cheese over top of it
  6. Now put your casserole in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes

Enjoy!

Who cooks best at your house?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...