• GO BULLDOGS!!!!

• Welcome to THE BEST TIMES newspaper!

Get a Life

When Life Gets Real

Elijah Morgan, Staff Writer

“Get a life” is a phrase no teenager wants to hear, but that’s exactly what the 7th grade class at Beckley-Stratton Middle School did on Wednesday, December 6. 2017, when they participated in a program directed by the West Virginia Department Of Treasury. Students where put to the task of being able to manage a viable career and income all the while making necessary deductions to their monthly salary, based upon the life details provided to each student.

The students are given cards with life scenarios, one having a education consisting of only a high school diploma, and another with a college degree. On these cards students have their entire life. The students use these cards especially when they buy groceries, and bedroom suites. These cards contain how big their family is, and how many rooms their house needs at the least.

Throughout this program the students are expected to buy a house, car, insurance, groceries, gas, and appliances. Through this program students will be randomly chosen by the “Green Reaper”, and given unexpected expenses such as; a puppy, sickness, car accident, and many more. We are so fortunate to have actually gotten an interview with Danny Moore the “Green Reaper”.

The first thing we asked him was his role here, and his career. Danny replied with,” I am the former Raleigh County sherif, and the current Raleigh County Clerk. I am the Green Reaper, and what I do is give unexpected expenses to the kids as they walk around.”

The next thing we thought we’d ask was if he thinks that this is how it is in the real world, and Danny replied with I wonderful answer stating,” no this is not like the real world, but it does instill what is come in the further and gives them and idea of how careful they need to be.”

Overall, the students loved this program, and explained that they understand how thankful they should be, because it hard to be in the real world. Many students said that they really enjoyed this program and they hope for it to come back next year. I think that this program really gives kids a feel for things, and gives them a idea for how careful they need to be.