• GO BULLDOGS!!!!

• Welcome to THE BEST TIMES newspaper!

Right Hand Man

The Broadway Musical Hamilton

Elijah Morgan, Staff Writer

In the 1750, Thomas Kean and Walter Murray opened a theatre company that would change the world. You know this as company as Broadway. A theatrical and musical company. A place where people can come and express themselves and the fantasies that they have. Up to this day, Mamma Mia!, The Lion King, and Oh Calcutta! are just some of the the longest running shows on Broadway.

On April 12, 2016 Lin-Manual Miranda released a broadway musical that would take America by storm. Eight years prior to release, Lin read a book about Alexander Hamilton; throughout reading this book, Lin began to realize that Alexander’s life embodied Hip-Hop. That year Lin began composing a series of songs that would emulated many current hip-hop artists life. Once he finished his initial song, titled “Alexander Hamilton,” he didn’t think that would be enough.

“Hamilton is a phenomenal American musical that follows the life of the first secretary of treasury and George Washington’s right hand-man through the revolutionary war. This play tells a powerful story about love, hate, and hardship.””

— Dante Bowman

After eight years of composing, he released a series of songs and throughout those songs he began to tell the story of Alexander’s life with dance and song. The past 3 years this play has been a hit with many people, and listened to all over the world. Lin-Manual Miranda’s portrayal on his life was breath taking, and down right amazing. Maddi Toler in eighth grade stated,” it’s really amazing; the songs get more and more interesting.”

Recently the famous parody singer, Werid Al Yankovic, created a mash up of a majority of the Hamilton songs, mixing them to a polka melody. Other artists such as The Roots, Usher, Sia, Kelley Clarkson, and Alicia Keys made another album rendition titled The Hamilton Mixtape by adding their own songs, feel, and remixes to the originals. Lin appeared in some songs, to help guide them in the Hamilton style. An interesting fact about this production is for a one person it is $751.00 for a regular seat in the auditorium.

What's your favorite Hamilton song?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This last year Hamilton had been a very big hit to may people, both young and old, and this musical production was nominated for many awards, breaking the record for Oliver Nominations. This musical production has won 11 Tony Awards, one  Grammy, and the Peltzer Prize for Drama, along with may other awards.

The broadway musical Hamilton has been so big over the years that the department that runs Hamilton has started a program called Edu-Ham. This is a program for title one school in L.A, New York, and Chicago. The program helps students at these schools learn more about American history. They will learn more about the lives of Aaron Bur, Alexander Hamilton , the Schuyler sisters, and many more. These students are also able to preform songs they have composed about these historians. Many students envolved in this program has said that it gives them more background an knowledge to a musical that they love, and enjoy.